Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hardship License, How can I get one in Kansas?

You can't.  Many people call me and ask about a hardship license in Kansas.  The simple fact is there are no hardship licenses in Kansas.  Up until July 1, 2011 if you got you license suspended or revoked you simply could not legally drive.  There still is no such thing as a hardship license.  In Kansas, if you are suspended you are suspended, if you are revoked you are revoked.  That being said, there may be hope for you.

On July 1, 2011, new law went into effect when it comes to license suspension for DUI and Drug and Alcohol offense based license suspension.  Normally, when you get convicted of a crime you are punished under the law that is in effect at the time that you broke the law.  The new law allows for a person with a license suspension based on a DUI to petition to get their case reevaluated under the new law and possibly have the new law dictate the duration of their license suspension.

The new law could take your lifetime revocation and change it into a one year license suspension.  The new law could take you multiple year suspension and change it into a one year suspension.  The new law could take your muti-year requirement to have an ignition interlock device in your car and cut the time period in half.  The ramifications of not being able to drive could drastically be diminished by this new law.

No comments:

Post a Comment